Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Puff puff

It is day nine for me -- quitting cigarettes, that is.

I wish I could say I did it save the $125 or so per month I was spending on them -- or annualized, about $1,500. At a pack a day, the habit was pricey. But no, I did it because my company was going to charge me an additional $100 per month, on top of my regular health insurance premiums, for being a smoker.

That was just too insane to continue -- $2,700 a year for a stinky vice? Um, no.

I have to take solace in my savings, because I am still fighting murderous impulses from the withdrawals. 

The money I did not spend on cigarette these past nine days, about $36, was enough to cover my grocery bill this week. Woo hoo! Take that, Marlboro Man.

Next, but not this month, will be my afternoon addiction of diet soda and chicken nuggets. There is only so much a girl can do at one time.

The drive to rid myself of debt is actually doing what no amount of health advisories could accomplish -- making me shed my poor food habits. Granted, I do eat really well for all other meals. No fast food or processed items. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all made from scratch. 
Still, I do have my predilections. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

...because my company was going to charge me an additional $100 per month,

this drives me up the wall...common sense and even some recent science dictates that, because smokers die younger, they cost the system less money than non smokers. dying is expensive no matter how you do it afterall, so those healthy non smokers that stick around for those last 10 highly medicated and heavily health-care-industry-managed years actually cost society more

your company should be charging the insufferable non-smokers for costing us so much.

what a scam.

glad to hear you quit though...it's a boon to the finances and you can always start again when you're old and finally free of vanity


H.

Unknown said...

here's a mainstream link to the "recent science" of which I speak:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22995659/